Friday, January 16, 2009

You need what?

I got a call yesterday from my boss at work.

I only work during tax season and maybe a couple small projects here and there, but for the rest of the year I am pretty out of touch. I check my work e-mail periodically but for the most part I am "out of the loop". Anyway, next Tuesday is the annual "State of the Firm" meeting. I usually don' t go because it happens to fall at that time of the year when I am most out of touch and I feel kind of funny showing up.

So, the conversation goes like this:

John: Are you coming to the "State of the Firm" meeting?

Me: Well, I really hadn't given it much thought.

John: I need to know because you are getting something if you are going.

Me: Getting something?

John: I think you are here 20 years now so there is an award for that.

Me: So, should I go?

John: It is up to you. There are going to be a couple of big announcements.

Me: So, if I want to be "In the know" I should go.

John: Yes.

Me: OK, I will be there.

John: Great, then we need a picture of you.

Crap! If I knew that I would have said no. The last thing I want at this "State of the Firm" meeting is to have to look at a large picture of myself on a big screen as part of a freaking slide show! And do you think I have a decent picture of myself? No! Of course not! I am 20 pounds overweight and most of the pictures with me in them also have my kids in them. And many of them were taken after I had just finished hiking up a mountain or getting out of the lake having been dragged around on a tube behind a boat!

So, this morning, before I started laundry, grocery shopping, etc., I took a shower, did my hair, make-up, put on a decent outfit, and had Mark take a couple of pictures of me. Damn near made him late for school -- it's not like the first one (or even the second one) came out decent! My little photographer managed to get one that will do.

It's not great, but hey, we were working with a tight deadline and it's the best I could do!

No comments: