Wednesday, January 14, 2009

If I'm not crazy, I sure do look it!

I drove Mark to school this morning as I usually do. Yes, it is right down the street less than two blocks away and he should walk. Unfortuntely, we are usually running late. It is also freezing out this week (but that isn't the real reason I drive him -- I'm just trying to justify a little more). And besides, I have to go out in the car to drive Daniel to school anyway, so I might as well just drop Mark off on my way. (Yes, more excuses). Bottom line -- it is easier to just fly up the street in my car, wave to the crossing guard as we drive by, and slow down a bit in the school parking lot so that he can jump out.

Anyway, this morning, as always, we got in the car, flew up the street, waved to the crossing guard as we drove by, and I slowed down a bit in the school parking lot so that Mark could jump out. As I watched him walk down the sidewalk to the door I noticed that something just didn't look right. Jacket on? Check. Hat and gloves? Check. Lunchbox? Check. Backpack?.....Backpack?...Backback? Nope. He had left the house without his backpack!

So, I pull forward, put down the window and yell "Hey, Mark! You don't have your backpack!" Oops! Back in the car he gets. We fly back up the street, wave to the crossing guard as we drive by, into the driveway, into the house, grab the backpack, back in the car, back out the driveway, back up the street, wave to the crossing guard as we drive by, and slow down a bit in the school parking lot so that he can jump out.... this time WITH his backpack!

Then I have to drive back past the crossing guard AGAIN and wonder what she is thinking. When in reality I know what she is thinking. She is thinking "That woman is a freaking lunatic!"
(PS I skipped the wave on the 4th drive by -- it just didn't seem necessary)

No comments: