Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Maybe I have his attention

At 6 1/2 Daniel continues to be the pickiest eater on the planet. He even knows it himself. He had a friend over last week. They were getting a snack and he asked his friend "Are you allergic to anything?" (Very sweet...his best buddy is allergic to nuts, so he is sensitive to the allergy thing). His friend said "No, are you?" Daniel responded with, "No, I'm just very picky."


Anyway, while sitting at Great Clips last week with Daniel getting a haircut, I was looking at a magazine that had an article on how to handle stubborn children. It addressed the picky eater. The suggestion was to give the child whatever you have prepared for dinner. If he/she does not want to eat it than they can get their own dinner...something easy that they can get themselves.

So, Sunday night I told Daniel that from now on if he doesn't want what I made he can get his own dinner. The conversation proceeded as follows:


Me: Daniel, we are having chicken and baked potatoes for dinner. Are you going to eat that?

Daniel: No.


Me: Than you are on your own.


Fast forward to dinner time. Daniel sits down at the table and there is nothing at his spot.


Daniel: Where is my dinner?


Me: I told you that you have to get it yourself. You can have dry cereal, yogurt or a cheese stick.


Daniel (in the kitchen): I'll have Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Can you get me a bowl?


Me: No, you have to get it yourself. The dishes in the dishwasher are clean.


Well, Daniel managed to get a bowl, pour himself his cereal and join us for dinner. He later heard me tell Eric about the new plan and where I heard about it. He said "Where is that magazine?" I told him I read it at the haircut place. To which he responded, "If that magazine ever comes in this house I'm going to tear it up and throw it away!"

So at least I've managed to annoy him!

No comments: