Monday, December 22, 2008

Why bother?

My kids had school today and will have another full day of school tomorrow before the Holiday Break (can't call it Christmas Break because that wouldn't be PC). The problem with this is that they aren't doing anything!

Mark asked me to pick him up early today because this afternoon the entire school (all 500 students) were watching the movie "Kung Fu Panda" in the cafeteria. The 3rd grade, as the highest grade in the school, sits at the back, so he can't see. His teacher allows him to move to the front so that he can see and even lets him bring a friend, but he is bothered by having to sit with the Kindergarteners. So, what is the point of making him stay and not see a movie that he has already seen and can watch (and see) in the comfort of his own home?

Tomorrow he has a party in the morning and a Sing-A-Long in the afternoon. I suppose he will attend because I am in charge of the craft at the party. I'm sure he would like to skip the Sing-A-Long (he has already told me he won't go up front and sing), but I can hardly sign him out early two days in a row with no good reason! Or can I?

Brooke stayed home with a cold today. I probably won't send her tomorrow, either. They are having an assembly in the morning -- the band, chorus, and orchestra are performing. And in the afternoon they are all going to pile into the gym to watch 3-on-3 basketball games for "Hoops For Heart" -- a fundraiser for the American Heart Association. Brooke hit me up for a donation, but not being a huge fan of exerting herself, decided to pass on the actual basketball part of the fundraiser. So, what is the point of sending her to school when she is not 100% so that she can suffocate trying to play her flute with a stuffy nose and sit on the gym floor with 100's of classmates watching basketball games that she doesn't care about?

Kevin hasn't shared the agenda for tomorrow with me yet, but I'm sure it is not chock full of academic stimulation.

Daniel is the only one who seems to have a purpose to his day tomorrow -- a Happy Birthday Jesus party at preschool that is sure to include a cupcake!

No comments: