Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve - Part 1 "The Christmas Pageant"

My kids participate in the youth music groups at our church. Brooke has been active for years. Her group is called Music, Arts & Drama (MAD, for short) and meets on Wednesday nights -- they don't want any part of the little kids. Kevin was guilted in this year by the music director who suggested that he could just do handbells and skip the singing and drama. His group is called MAD, Jr. and meets on Tuesday nights. Daniel is part of Preschool Faith Weaver Friends meeting also on Tuesday nights. Mark was strongly against participation of any kind. But, as Kevin and Daniel's groups meet at the same time on Tuesday's when Brooke was at church working on her confirmation lessons -- he had to be at church anyway. The first night, way back in September, he refused to join in. So, I said fine. You can just hang out with me and be bored. About 1/2 way through the night a boy came out and invited Mark to come on in -- very sweet. Mark decided he would just "look". He went to the door, peeked in, and I proceeded to shove him from the back into the middle of the room. Stunned and not knowing what else to do, he took a seat. Lucky for me they were giving out Hershey bars that night. He hasn't missed since. The possibility of a snack is all he needed.

Anyway, back to my story. The groups all participate together in the family Christmas Eve service. Brooke's group sang and directed the service. Kevin ended up as a shepherd and singing. (He might as well learn now that one thing leads to another and saying "no" isn't that easy.) Mark was a King and had a small speaking part! And Daniel was the cutest little shepherd you ever did see.

We had moments of brilliance: Brooke nailed her piano piece "Carol of the Bells" and sang beautifully.

We had moments of frustration: The afternoon before the performance, Daniel expressed reluctance to participate. Actually, his exact words were "I'm not going up on stage." I asked him why not and he said "I don't like the costume. It chokes me in my neck." To which I replied "I'm going to choke you in your neck if you don't get dressed for church!" At the end of it all, he got dressed, Eric took him to church and he got swooped up in the mayhem and never looked back. (Or if he did, there was no one there to care -- we all went to get good seats and didn't even go check on him).

And we had moments of laughter: Mark walked in with the other kings looking like he was being led to the electric chair! I really can't adequately describe it in words. I am desperately trying to get a copy of the video and I will post it if I can. But it was absolutely hysterical. And when he said his line: "Indeed, this is no ordinary star. It signifies the birth of a new king. Let us follow the star and see this young king!" with the same lack of enthusiasm I cracked up -- and so did everyone else. So, we need to work on his "drama".

No comments: