Wednesday, December 17, 2008

This guy takes his job a little too seriously

I went to Lube Express to have my oil changed yesterday. Admittedly, it had been too long -- it has been on my to-do list since October or so. Yesterday was cold and rainy and I didn't feel like being in and out of stores, yet didn't want to be inside cleaning and doing laundry all day, so Daniel and I hit the McDonald's drive-thru and headed to Lube Express for an "in the car picnic."

Well it is a little tough to enjoy your lunch when the Lube Express guy, Matt, is ripping you a new you-know-what for not having your oil changed regularly enough! Yes, I know it had been 9,000 miles. But, what does he care? You would think he had birthed my engine himself and given it to me to take care of! He kept going on and on about the damage I am doing to my engine and that it is highly recommended that I flush the engine (for $99), and that I was more than a quart low, and that oil gets burned onto all of the engine parts, and on and on and on.

So, I call Eric at work and tell him "Hey, this guy and Lube Express is quite disturbed by the fact that I haven't had the oil changed in a while and highly recommends that we have the engine flushed. What should I do?" And Eric, of course, says "Don't do it." And I say, "Well, geez, this guy is really upset about the condition of the engine, etc., etc. He highly recommends that we do this." And Eric replies, "Don't do it."

OK, so I had to tell this guy "No, we'll pass on the engine flush." Given the obvious gravity of the situation, I expected him to cry. But, he took it like a man and told me that we were going to keep burning oil if we don't do it, but that is our decision. And next time he wants to see me in 3,000 miles.

Yeah right! Like I want to go back there again!

(Well, actually I probably will go back there again. I get these coupons for a $19.99 oil change and they are right there by McDonald's. It is just too easy. Let's just hope Matt isn't working that day!)

No comments: