Sunday, October 19, 2008

Are those eggs or rocks?

OK, I need to preface this story with a little background on my two middle children. Kevin and Mark, who are 11 and 8 years old, have a visual condition called nystagmus. Basically, they don't have all of the cone function in their retinas. Their vision is poor, about 20/180, and they are extrememly light sensitive, so they wear sunglasses all the time outside and when they are in an unfamiliar or flurescent lighted place.

Lest you think that I am making light of this situation in my next story, I need to tell you that they are amazing kids and they cope amazingly well. We are so proud of their lack of self-pity and their ability to successfully navigate this world with their visual challenges.

Anyway, we all went pumpkin picking at a local farm yesterday. We go every year -- there is a hayride, animals, corn maze, Burger King nearby, beautiful foliage -- all of the trappings of a great fall family day. It was a beautiful, sunny day -- great for us, a little challenging for Kevin and Mark. We decided to go see the farm animals first. As we approached the pen with the pigs, Kevin said "Are those eggs or rocks?" I looked to see to what he was referring and what did I see? A group of sleeping piglets! I cracked up! (Then I looked around to see if anyone else heard him!)



More pictures from the pumpkin picking excursion:


Kevin, Mark, Brooke & Daniel


Mark & Daniel on the tractor

Daniel & Kevin on a straw horse


Kevin, Mark, Brooke & Daniel on the hayride

Kevin, Mark, Brooke & Daniel after a successful "harvest"

No comments: