Sunday, January 29, 2012

College dreams...are they realistic?

I first need to preface this with the following: "Mark hates to read"  It may be a visual thing. Maybe with his poor vision it is just too tiring. But, truth be told, I think it is just that he would rather be doing something else.

This marking period he had to read one book and do a project on it.  I encouraged him to read The Hunger Games.  I read this book and loved it.  It has all of the things that an 11 year old boy should love: action, suspense and a fair amount of violence.

It took him no less than two full months to finish it. Painful!

Anyway, this morning he asked me about University of North Carolina. Both my father and my youngest brother went to this fine institution of higher learning.  He asked if he has good enough grades to get into UNC.  To which I replied, "Yes, I think you do. But you should start reading more."

His answer: "Why? Is North Carolina a reading school or something?"

After I finally regained my composure I said, "All colleges are really reading schools." He replied, "Oh man! I think I'll be a plumber."

No comments: